- PENNY DREADFUL (II), aka PENNY DREADFUL THE 13TH
- (Danielle Gelehrter)
- Visit Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers,
the official website of "New England's Most HEXellent Horror-Host Program."
- See Penny Dreadful's profile page
at HORRORHOSTS.com, the official site for the Host Underground.
- Check out Penny Dreadful's blog at MySpace.com!
- Watch video clips from show episodes, interviews and live events on the
Shilling Shockers website,
on YouTube and on
Weird Cinema TV!
- Tune in the Horror Host Radio Network
(scheduled times to be announced) to hear live webcasts of shows hosted by Penny Dreadful and other horror hosts,
brought to you by the audacious folks at
Cult Radio A Go-Go!
- Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers
- The show can now be seen on cable TV in over 100 cities and towns throughout Haunted New England!
Here's the SHOW SCHEDULE as of February, 2008:
- New Haven, West Haven, Hamden:
Citizens Television Channel 27,
Wednesday and Friday late-night at 1:00 am
- New London, Waterford, Montville, East Lyme, Sterling, Griswold, Killingly, Plainfield, Putnam, Niantic, Jewett City, Danielson:
MetroCast Community TV Channel 24, Friday at 11:00 pm
- Norwalk, Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, Weston, Westport, Easton, Redding:
Cablevision Channel 77, Friday late-night at 12:30 am
GOCAT Channel 2, every night at 11:00 pm
- Hollis, Buxton, Limerick, Limington, Standish, Waterboro:
SRC-TV Channel 2,
Every night at 11:30 pm
Channel 2; Monday at 11:00 am, 4:00 pm, 9:00 pm, and late-night 2:00 am
- Washington County (Eastport, Machias, Lubec and numerous smaller towns):
Washington County TV Channel 58, Friday at 9:00 pm
Comcast Channel 8, Friday at 11:00 pm
- Athol, Orange:
AOTV Channel 13, Sunday at Midnight
Comcast AACS Channel 15, Saturday and Sunday at Midnight.
- Boston (BNN):
Comcast BNN Channel 23 / RCN Channel 83, Tuesday late-night at 12:30 am
BATV Channel 3, Saturday at Midnight
CCTV Channel 10, Tuesday and Thursday at Midnight
- East Bridgewater:
EBCTV Channel 9, Schedule varies (see website)
Comcast Channel 9, Friday at 11:00 pm
- Fairhaven / Acushnet:
Comcast Channel 95, Friday and Saturday at 11:00 pm
- Fall River:
FRCTV Channel 95, Thursday at 10:00 pm
Comcast Channels 9 and 95, Thursday and Friday at 10:00 pm
- Mattapoisett, Marion, Rochester:
ORCTV Channel 9, Thursday & Saturday at 9:00 pm
- New Bedford:
NBTV Channel 95, Friday at 10:00 pm
- North Adams, Adams, Clarksburg and Cheshire:
NBCTV Channel 15, Saturday at 10:30 pm
- North Dartmouth:
Comcast Channel 95, Friday at 10:00 pm
PAT Channel 10, Tuesday at 11:00 pm
QATV Channel 8; Friday at 10:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday at 10:00 pm
Comcast Channel 9, Friday at 11:00 pm
SATV Channel 3, Saturday at 11:00 pm
Channel 9, Tuesday at 11:00 pm
TV9 Channel 9; Saturday at 9:00 pm, Sunday mornings at 7:00 am
Channel 98, Tuesday at 9:30 am and 10:00 pm
Comcast Channel 15, Tuesday at Midnight
WCTV Comcast Channel 9, Friday at 11:00 pm
CAT Channel 8, Wednesday at 11:00 pm
Charter Channel 17, Friday at 11:00 pm
WCAT Channel 3, Friday at 11:00 pm (double feature!)
Comcast Channel 9, Verizon Channel 42 & RCN Channel 3;
Friday and Saturday at Midnight, Monday at 9:00 pm, Thursday at 1:00 pm
WCCA-TV Channel 13, Tuesday at Midnight, Thursday late-night at 1 am
Channel 8, schedule varies.
- New Hampshire:
BCTV Channel 16, Thursday late-night at 12:30 am
SAPA-TV Channel 8, Saturday night at 11:30 pm
CTV Channel 21; Friday at 6 am, Saturday at 2:30 pm and Sunday at 11:30 pm
CCTV Channel 8, Friday at 11:30 pm
CTV Channel 17, generally airs weekends at 11:00 pm (varies)
MCAM Channel 23, Sunday at 10 pm (at least once a month)
- Rhode Island:
- Providence, North Providence, Warwick, West Warwick, Coventry & East Greenwich:
Cox Channel 18, Tuesday at 11:30 pm
- Barrington, Bristol, Warren:
Full Channel Cable Channel 9, Thursday and Friday at Midnight
- Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, Tiverton, Little Compton:
Cox Channel 18, Saturday at 1:00 am
VCAM Channel 15;
Tuesday late-night at 2:30 am, Wednesday late-night at 3:00 am, Thursday at 2:00 pm
- Hyde Park, Johnson, Morristown:
GMATV Channel 15,
every night at Midnight
- Ludlow, Plymouth, Cavendish, and Mount Holly:
LPCTV Channel 8;
Wednesday at 10 pm, Saturday and Sunday at Noon and Midnight
- Springfield, Chester, Weathersfield & Reading:
SAPA-TV Channel 8,
Saturday night at 11:30 pm
- Horror Host Underground Network:
- Live and pre-recorded guest appearances on other hosted shows all over the country.
- Live appearances at monstrous film festivals and other shows and events throughout the year.
- January 2006 (debut) - present
- Magazine references:
- Review with two photos, "Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers (2005)" by David Alexander Nahmod,
in issue #59 (July 2006) of Scary Monsters.
- Review with two photos, "Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers: Season One and Season Two" by David Alexander Nahmod,
in issue #63 (June 2007) of Scary Monsters.
- Penny Dreadful's co-hosts are her snarling-darling lycanthrope husband Garou (Magoo Gelehrter)
and their arch-enemy and
next door neighbor, the retired monster hunter Manfred Von Bulow (Ivan Bernier).
Other special guests appear throughout the course of the series.
Multi-talented Rebecca Paiva directs and edits the shows, plays supporting roles as needed, maintains the official website,
and generally lends an air of class to the proceedings.
- Penny Dreadful's show is based in Southeastern Massachusetts
and airs throughout the New England area --
and is also seen nationwide via the Horror Host Underground network.
Episodes have included visits to Salem, to Lovecraft territory,
to the Collinwood mansion from Dark Shadows, to Lizzie Borden's house, to the Monster Bash convention in Pittsburgh,
to abandoned amusement parks, and to many other fun & freaky places.
- The selection of films shown on Shilling Shockers is intelligent and eclectic, to say the least!
Here's what they've shown so far.
M (pilot episode),
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street,
The Werewolf vs. Vampire Woman,
The Terror and
Count Dracula and His Vampire Brides.
The Brain That Wouldn't Die,
The Beast of Yucca Flats,
The Werewolf of Pawtucket,
Teenagers from Outer Space,
The Indestructible Man and
At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul,
House on Haunted Hill,
Carry On Screaming,
Moon of the Wolf,
Dracul -- Prisoner of Frankenstein and
the German silent classic
Horror Rises From the Tomb,
Attack of the Monsters,
Bride of the Monster,
Carnival of Souls,
A Bucket of Blood and
Ingmar Bergman's arthouse classic
The Seventh Seal.
- I, E-gor, initiated this entry after receiving this flattering note from Penny Dreadful herself in January 2006:
Your website is amazing.
I am a frequent visitor!
When I replied with a couple of requests and queries, she wrote again:
I am just writing to let you know that I am a new horror hostess in the Southern New England area....
We are currently airing on NBTV 95 in New Bedford, MA on Saturdays at 10 pm, as well as BNN in Boston ....
We are also about to air in Providence Rhode Island, New Haven Connecticut,
and several markets throughout Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
We are also members of the Horror Host Underground and will be sending some of our shows over to A. Ghastlee Ghoul for distribution.
Could you find it in your heart to give us a wee listing on your fantastic site?
Our website is at http://www.shillingshockers.com --
You can watch a couple of clips there (with more coming soon).
There are also episode synopses, pics and character bios.
Originally I was just Penny Dreadful (I was in a band, and DJ'd a radio show under that name),
but when I went into horror hosting I discovered through your website that there had been an earlier Penny Dreadful,
so I added 'the thirteenth' part. On the show they usually just call me Penny Dreadful.
Occasionally we'll add the 13th part on TV (like in the episode when Penny was put on trial for witchcraft).
Penny came through with a FAN-tastic package of autographs and other show goodies --
see one of the signed photos linked to her sidebar portrait!
I'd be more than happy to send you an autographed photo.
In fact, I'm blushing thirteen shades of green over the fact that you asked for one!
Penny Dreadful the 13th
- Penny Dreadful and Shilling Shockers have been taking the country by storm since the show debuted in January 2006,
as their current list of cable venues clearly shows.
Another indication of their success and popularity is their nomination, early in 2008,
in two different categories of the fan-based annual Rondo Awards for hexellent accomplishments in 2007:
"Best (active) Horror Host" and "Best Independent Production on DVD" (for the box set of Season Four
Any classic horror fan can vote in the Rondos -- go to the official Rondo Award website,
to read the rules, get a copy of the ballot, and see lists of nominees and winners from previous years.
Winners, nominations for future awards, and other aspects of the Rondos are discussed all year long in a dedicated forum
of the Classic Horror Film Board.
Penny Dreadful is well-equipped to sweep the Rondos!
Penny Dreadful, the bewitching host
of Shilling Shockers
in New England.
Click for a larger view of
Penny and her co-hosts
on an autographed photo,
courtesy of Danielle